URGENT: Turn Out to Berkeley City Council Tuesday March 14
Stop Urban Shield coalition has continued to strongly mobilize in Alameda County, San Francisco, and now the City of Berkeley against the annual racist Urban Shield militarized SWAT training and weapons exposition. Join us!
Today, the Berkeley City Council will be hearing items about the city’s collaborations with other jurisdictions’ law enforcement agencies. Among the collaborations are participation in the Department of Homeland Security’s Urban Areas Security Initiative (UASI), which is the federal program that allows Urban Shield to take place.
Join the Stop Urban Shield coalition in demanding that city officials end their collaboration with UASI and withdraw all participation in Urban Shield.
Additionally, we are calling on Berkeley to withdraw from participating in the Northern California Regional Intelligence Center (NCRIC), a fusion center that works to compile massive amounts of information gathered through surveillance. Fusion centers are the central gathering vehicles for Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs), which have targeted Arabs, Muslims, and people of color.
Turn out and testify! (talking points and info provided)
Date: Tuesday March 14th at 7pm
Location: Berkeley City Council Chambers, 2134 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way between Allston and Addison (near downtown Berkeley BART)
Contact Berkeley City Council and Mayor – Phone or Email Today!
Dear Council Member,
My name is ______ and I am a __ [Berkeley resident, member of organization, concerned resident, etc] __. I’m writing to demand that the City of Berkeley continue to stand firmly on the side of civil and human rights by ending its collaborations with Department of Homeland Security programs. Taking a stand to protect Berkeley residents is particularly important under the extremely racist and dangerous Trump administration.
We specifically demand that Berkeley does NOT continue its participation in NCRIC, and does NOT enter into any agreements with Urban Areas Security Initiatives, including no longer participating in or hosting Urban Shield.
- Mayor Arreguin: email@example.com (510) 981-7100
- Councilmember Davila: firstname.lastname@example.org (510) 981-7120
- Councilmember Hahn: email@example.com (510) 981-7150
- Councilmember Worthington: firstname.lastname@example.org (510) 981-7170
- Councilmember Harrison: email@example.com (510) 981-7140
- Councilmember Bartlett: firstname.lastname@example.org (510) 981-7130
- Councilmember Droste: email@example.com (510) 981-7180
- Councilmember Wengraf: firstname.lastname@example.org (510) 981-7160
- Councilmember Maio: email@example.com (510) 981-7110